We are building the WCFP Team…
Thank you for your interest in working with us at WCFP. We have the following positions available:
JOB TITLE: Farm Apprentice
PRIMARY FUNCTION: The Apprenticeship Program at Willow Creek Farm Preserve (WCFP) offered March – November, 2019, is an educational program focusing on practical training in organic small-scale farming and gardening, with an emphasis on the dynamic connections between food and the environment. Positions remain open until filled and qualified candidates may begin after the start date.
- Reports to Farm Manager/Farm Education Manager.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- The Apprenticeship Program offers instruction and daily hands-on experience concentrating on the ecological interactions amongst plants, soils, animals, climate, insects, and pathogens.
- Apprentices work alongside staff members of WCFP on our 135-acre farm in the orchards, fields and raised bed garden, as well as participating in WCFP Educational programming for diverse audiences.
- Apprentices spend a small percentage of each week in a classroom setting and will also complete self-study assignments.
- Apprentices participate in the Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT) program and attend up to four farm tours and educational events within Southeastern, Pennsylvania, overseen by Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture (PASA).
- The Apprenticeship Program highlights the following topics: Introduction to Basics of Organic Farming, Transitioning to Certified Organic, Comprehensive Hands-On Training in Conservation Agricultural Practices and Organic Production Management, Introduction to Fruit Tree Production, Introduction to Organic Blueberries and Brambles, Benefits of Sheep in an Orchard, Considerations of Farm-Based Education, Raised Bed Vegetable Production – Seed to Share Garden™, Introduction to Cover Crops, Business Planning and Governmental Considerations.
- Genuine interest in organic agricultural production and strong physical and mental work ethic.
- Responsible and internally motivated to learn and improve one’s skillset and knowledgebase.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work well with others, including co-workers and the public.
- Prior agricultural experience is not required, although any work or study in the field of food or agriculture is a desirable attribute to apprenticeship applicants.
- Must be 21+ years of age, pass a Background Check and have a Valid Driver’s License.
- Lift or move up to 50lbs, unassisted.
- Carry, bend, kneel, and stand for long periods of time and work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Full-time Monday – Saturday (40-45+ hours a week); variable days off and rotating Sunday duties.
- Apprentices are given the option of living at the Farm in a furnished farmhouse.
- $425/week salary paid bi-weekly; Deduct $100/week with housing.
- 3 days Paid Time Off (PTO), 4 Paid Holidays, and 3 days Unpaid Time Off.
TO APPLY: Submit resume to Melissa.firstname.lastname@example.org and complete our online application. *Applications will be accepted through 4/12/19 or until the positions are filled. To learn more about the WCFP 2019 Apprentice Program click here.
SEED TO SHARE GARDEN™ VOLUNTEER:
- Our Seed to Share Garden™ Volunteers are a special part of our team! We bring together individuals, families, and organizations to collaboratively grow vegetables for local food banks in our universally accessible raised bed one-acre garden network.
- Tasks include planting, weeding, watering, mulching, harvesting and beyond. Interested in checking it out? Sign-up for one of our volunteer times and complete our Activity Waiver. We look forward to working in the dirt and growing for others along side you!